Prior to breast cancer surgery, we recommend you schedule a preoperative evaluation with one of our physical therapists to assess your current level of function and activity. We also use this time to prepare you emotionally and mentally for surgery: answer your questions, attempt to alleviate your concerns and provide unlimited support.
The comprehensive evaluation includes:
- Past medical and surgical history
- Social history: including your exercise regimen, hobbies, family and work
- Physical exam that looks at postural alignment, range of motion, flexibility and strength of bilateral upper extremities
- Hands-on therapy to identify pre-existing pain or tenderness. This gives you a further understanding of your body as you head into surgery, and provides us with a fuller picture so that we may personalize your treatment plan
- Basic knowledge of your surgery and the potential post-surgery side effects
- Deep breathing and meditative techniques to help you ease into a relaxed state of mind prior to surgery
- Education on gentle exercises you can do at home while recovering
This is a physically and emotionally challenging time, and we’re here to help guide you through the process. For more information, or to schedule a preoperative evaluation, please call us at: 212.421.2278.